Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts] Reduce layout shift via @font-face descriptor(s) overriding inline spacing (#5533)

From: Xiaocheng Hu via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 21:33:26 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> If it's more important to avoid layout shift than to use the designer's "ideal" font, then add a font-display descriptor to make it optional, and if it doesn't load quickly enough, just continue to use a fallback (with its own proper glyph spacing, not shoehorned into the metrics of the font that didn't load).

Here we want both stable layout and the designer's ideal font, so `font-display` can't achieve the purpose. Instead,
we're using quality of fallback font typography as the cost of the tradeoff.

> An alternative way to try and minimize layout shift if a fallback font is used would be to have a descriptor that allows a scaling factor to be applied to the font (thus improving the metrics-match by scaling the font as a whole, rather than by distorting its glyph widths).

This sounds like a viable idea. I'll do some testing with it.

Btw there's some similarity with #126, just for the record.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by xiaochengh
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5533#issuecomment-713890191 using your GitHub account