Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-contain-2] Combination of shortcuts and values (#5506)

From: CSS Meeting Bot via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 21:57:29 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
The CSS Working Group just discussed `combination of shorthand and longhand values`, and agreed to the following:

* `RESOLVED: close no change`

&lt;fantasai> Topic: combination of shorthand and longhand values<br>
&lt;TabAtkins> github: https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5506<br>
&lt;fantasai> TabAtkins: I wrote in an example in the spec 'contain: strict style'<br>
&lt;fantasai> TabAtkins: because strict doesn't include style<br>
&lt;fantasai> TabAtkins: turns out that this is not grammatical<br>
&lt;fantasai> TabAtkins: you can't mix the shorthands with additional longhands<br>
&lt;fantasai> TabAtkins: question is... should it be?<br>
&lt;fantasai> TabAtkins: especially if the shorthand computes to longhand, shouldn't we allow combining them<br>
&lt;fantasai> TabAtkins: if we do that, then how strict do we want to be about the combinations, do we allow 'strict paint' even though 'paint' is already included in 'strict'<br>
&lt;florian> q+<br>
&lt;myles> q+<br>
&lt;fantasai> TabAtkins: Weakly prefer allowing more combos, but browsers only accept the stricter syntax<br>
&lt;fantasai> florian: Weak preference<br>
&lt;astearns> ack florian<br>
&lt;fantasai> florian: my weak preference goes the other way around because it's stable.<br>
&lt;astearns> ack myles<br>
&lt;fantasai> florian: If from scratch, would allow the non-redundant combinations, but minor enough not worth fixing<br>
&lt;fantasai> myles: Similar to what Florian just said.<br>
&lt;fantasai> myles: Also, as far as you know, are you the only person who has this desire?<br>
&lt;fantasai> TabAtkins: No idea<br>
&lt;fantasai> myles: So probably, no change<br>
&lt;fantasai> astearns: until browsers get bugs from ppl other than Tab :)<br>
&lt;fantasai> astearns: proposed no change<br>
&lt;fantasai> +1<br>
&lt;fantasai> astearns: any objections?<br>
&lt;fantasai> RESOLVED: close no change<br>
</details>

--
GitHub Notification of comment by css-meeting-bot
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5506#issuecomment-713163539 using your GitHub account