Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-contain-2] content-visibility should pause css animations in subtree (#5611)

From: Robert Flack via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 14:31:09 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> > Is this a reason not to do option 2? I think that option 1 and 2 have all of the same difficulties since playing or paused, animations and their start times are observable.
>
> I don't think option 2 is feasible at all, because it would mean we would have to compute style every time it changes, even while skipped, just in case it affected an animation.

I'm not sure I understand this point. We would tick the animation's time, but we could leave the elements with dirty style unless it was queried. As far as I can tell, all properties which could start or stop animations are not animatable, i.e. animation-* and display are not animatable properties.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by flackr
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5611#issuecomment-708442540 using your GitHub account