Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-sizing-4] Should aspect-ratio apply for width: auto; height: auto;? (#5060)

From: fantasai via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 22:30:58 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org

Because when a replaced element has no intrinsic size, we have to come up with one, and that falls under the “For boxes with an intrinsic aspect ratio, but no intrinsic size” clause in https://drafts.csswg.org/css-sizing-3/#intrinsic-sizes (which is itself extrapolated from the suggestion in https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visudet.html#inline-replaced-width which leaves it otherwise undefined).

> I find it unintuitive that an <svg> inside a flexbox sizes to 100%, is that really the behavior we want?

What other behavior would you suggest? Seems more useful to make sure it fits its container than to size it to zero or to arbitrarily pick 300px or something, imho!

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5060#issuecomment-703924108 using your GitHub account