Re: [csswg-drafts] [web-animations-1] Clarification about `target` and `pseudoElement` relationship (#4745)

From: Robert Flack via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 16:08:04 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
It seems to me we have two differing precedents for how to treat unknown pseudo-elements.
* [querySelector](https://drafts.csswg.org/selectors-4/#invalid-selector) treats unsupported pseudo-elements as invalid
* [getComputedStyle](https://drafts.csswg.org/cssom/#extensions-to-the-window-interface) supports any parseable &lt;pseudo-element-selector&gt;

@george-steel I don't think there's any reason either option wouldn't work. We would allow parsing any pseudo-element even if it wasn't valid on the current element to allow pseudoElement to be set independent of target.

@george-steel @lpd-au Doesn't checking the event's pseudoElement imply that the animation in the animation event is different than the one which was constructed (such that the pseudoElement may vary)? I would have expected it to be the same WebAnimation object.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by flackr
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4745#issuecomment-597171167 using your GitHub account