Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-scrollbars-1] scrollbar-width should be inherited (#4799)

From: Florian Rivoal via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2020 05:24:13 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> But on the other hand, as the OP points out, inheriting makes it easier to have a consistent scrollbar design across a site, the same justification used for having scrollbar-color inherit.

I kind of see this as a downside.

Overall, scrollbars are a matter of UI, which I think should be more of a user / UA / OS choice,  than an author choice.

To me, this properties is most strongly justified when allowing authors to say something like "this particular component is a small chat-box in the corner, it doesn't have much room, and narrow(er) scrollbars would be appropriate". I think it is less justified if it's about letting authors say "I think thin scrollbars are prettier".

Ultimately, both will be possible anyway, and there's a big gray zone in the middle, but it seems to me that a non inherited property biases (slightly) towards the per component UX consideration, while an inherited one biases (slightly) towards overall esthetics, and so I'd rather keep it non inherited.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4799#issuecomment-596168374 using your GitHub account