Re: [csswg-drafts] [scroll-animations] Support series of scroll offsets (#4912)

From: Majid Valipour via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 14:35:08 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
This was discussed in last F2F sync.

@birtles  suggested an interesting approach based on clamping the offending values. The clamp value could be a middle value and neither of the two offending value. This can lead to an outcome that is closer to author intent.

Consider this example  `offsets: [100, 300, 200, 400]`. Here 300 and 200 are in the invalid order so we replace them with 250 so the calculate offsets will be [100, 250, 250 400].

In the context of reveal/unreveal example a realistic case is when the item we want to reveal is larger than the viewport which would produce such a situation. The suggested clamping approach will cause the reveal to continue for 50% of total animation and unreveal to start to the remainder. While we never reach opacity 1 but it seems a better option than alternatives.

The consensus was that this looks like a promising approach instead of returning unresolved time.

Action Items:
 - @ogerchikov is planning to spec this in more details
 - @flackr  was considering to prototype this in the polyfill to see how it will behave in practice.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by majido
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4912#issuecomment-649589233 using your GitHub account