Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-color-4] Define gamut mapping (#5191)

From: Chris Lilley via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 18:17:48 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Does anyone really use the `saturation` rendering intent? Making 1990's style ugly hypersaturated business graphics seems like a very niche case.

`Absolute colorimetric` means no white point adaptation and attempting to preserve absolute luminance. Apart from testing and research I get the impression it really isn't that useful

Browsers may well use the `perceptual` intent for rendering photographic images, but since `perceptual` is like CSS `auto` i.e. "do something magic and poorly specified" we can't guarantee that colors in CSS and colors in an image will match if both use `perceptual`. So in practice the options are:

1. Use `perceptual` for photographic images and `relative colorimetric` for non-photographic images and CSS. Give up on color matching from CSS to colors in the photos.

2. Use `relative colorimetric` for everything, and give up on smooth gradients between OOG and IG colors.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5191#issuecomment-643418982 using your GitHub account