Re: [csswg-drafts] [selectors][css-values] Hide "sensitive" attributes from CSS (#5136)

From: Xiaocheng Hu via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2020 19:59:44 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> My thinking is that no, `attr()` used at the top-level of 'content' as a "string" type should continue to work with everything, as it does today.

With the latest `var()`-like spec, it seems pretty hard to distinguish between the old "`attr` in `content` as a string" and the advanced "`attr` in any property as any type".
- When there's an `attr()` in a property value, it's substituted right away, so we don't know where it will be consumed eventually -- especially when used together with custom variables
- At the time the time we compute the value of `content` of a pseudo-element, `attr()` has already been substituted

So I'm not sure how to make them behave differently.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by xiaochengh
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5136#issuecomment-639764390 using your GitHub account