Re: [csswg-drafts] [scroll-animations] The selector() function vs. similar cases (#5166)

From: Sebastian Zartner via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2020 20:33:11 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
There is also the `element()` function of CSS Images 4 that takes an ID selector.

I think always requiring a `selector()` function is more future proof, as it explicitly marks it and allows the it to be extended to take other selectors. Allowing the selector to be placed directly _may_ cause conflicts with keywords and other syntax definitions.
And of course it is more consistent to always use the same way to specify selectors.

So I vote for using `selector()` in `nav-up` and Co. and replacing `element()` by `selector()`.

Sebastian

--
GitHub Notification of comment by SebastianZ
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5166#issuecomment-639101107 using your GitHub account