Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts-4] Percentages in font-weight for relative weights (#2690)

From: Lea Verou via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 02:18:43 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I just stumbled upon this again (well, the lack thereof) and I actually think I buried the lede here with the equalizing strokes use case. A far more common use case is when we want a bolder or lighter stroke than the surrounding text, in a way that's agnostic to the weight of the surrounding text.
There is `bolder` and `lighter` indeed, but these are defined in very crude terms, since they precede variable fonts: https://drafts.csswg.org/css-fonts/#relative-weights
In fact, I think percentages should be allowed in *all* font properties that correspond to registered axes, for the same reason.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by LeaVerou
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2690#issuecomment-636577689 using your GitHub account