Re: [csswg-drafts] Interoperable font metrics (#4792)

From: Mike Bremford via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 10:36:28 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> (other proposals) cause all text to be laid out differently, across every website in the entire web. Such a massive change is too scary from a product development standpoint.

I suspect not applying this to local (or even generic) fonts might be entirely intentional.

It's a good compromise idea - I still think we need `leading-override` too, as OpenType has at least `hhea.LineGap` and `OS/2.sTypoLineGap` defining this.

There are other metrics to consider. Both x-height and cap-height are both in the OpenType PCLT table, and there are the baselines too (in the BASE table). All of these are stored only in one place in the font, so if this issue is purely about removing ambiguity and not about overriding metrics, then I'm not sure whether overriding these is important.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by faceless2
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4792#issuecomment-588153191 using your GitHub account