[csswg-drafts] [css-grid] grid-gap is still taking up space when an element defined in grid-template-area is not on the page. (#5813)

From: Bram Doppen via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 12:03:39 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
bramdoppen has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-grid] grid-gap is still taking up space when an element defined in grid-template-area is not on the page. ==
Hi all! Love the work you do, but there is one thing that I would like to mention here: grid-gaps that are still taking up space when element is not in the DOM.

**It works when all elements are present**
Everything is fine here. Nice gaps between elements.
![2020-12-21 12_55_54-Window](https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/13641023/102774927-38a8c880-438c-11eb-8060-18deffdaf166.png)

**The issue:**
When the last element (the filter) is removed from the page (but is still defined in the grid-template-area) the row-gap is still taking up space.

![2020-12-21 12_56_07-Window](https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/13641023/102774966-45c5b780-438c-11eb-9de1-a565759c7fba.png)

![2020-12-21 12_58_59-DevTools - pggmenco nl perplex self_werk-en-prive-in-balans_](https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/13641023/102775065-6f7ede80-438c-11eb-94f3-93e7885f4bda.png)

Would be great if css grid would not add those row-gaps in the future.
Did some research but there is no rock-solid workaround that I can use right now, or am I missing something?

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5813 using your GitHub account