Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-grid] Note implies losing an aspect-ratio when it shouldn't? (#5713)

From: Oriol Brufau via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 00:59:44 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@fantasai This still seems somewhat confusing to me:

So what's the difference between being sized according to CSS 2 §10.3.4, and being sized "as for a block-level box", which will be as a replaced block-level box (per https://drafts.csswg.org/css-sizing-4/#aspect-ratio-automatic), which is precisely defined in CSS 2 §10.3.4? Why not say

> If the grid item is a replaced element with a natural size in the relevant dimension (or with a preferred aspect ratio <del>and a natural size in the other dimension</del>) the grid item is sized as for align-self: start (consistent with the width calculation rules for block-level replaced elements in CSS 2 §10.3.4 Block-level, replaced elements in normal flow).
>
> <del>Otherwise, if the grid item has a preferred aspect ratio, the grid item is sized as for a block-level box.</del>

What's the difference? It's quite late here so I may be missing something.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5713#issuecomment-747800495 using your GitHub account