[csswg-drafts] [css-color-adjust] It's a bit unfortunate that user stylesheets can't specify arbitrary colors. (#5779)

From: Emilio Cobos Álvarez via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 23:00:21 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
emilio has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-color-adjust] It's a bit unfortunate that user stylesheets can't specify arbitrary colors. ==
I don't _think_ this is enough of an issue to revert the resolution of https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4915, but I don't think it was discussed there so I wanted to raise it just in case there's any case we hadn't thought about.

One of the nice things of the `revert`-based forced-colors is that user and user-agent stylesheets worked as-is. We fixed UA stylesheets to use system colors where they weren't doing so, so that's covered, but user stylesheets won't be able to specify arbitrary colors anymore.

I think most of the use cases that I could think of for having arbitrary colors in a user sheet if you're using forced-colors are either minor, covered by system colors, or spec issues (#5778).

But there are probably other use cases which I might have missed (I know lots of extensions inject user stylesheets, for example...), so I think it'd be worth a look from other WG/community members just in case.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5779 using your GitHub account