Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-variables-1] CSS Variables should be considered as released. (#5390)

From: Nicolas Cordier via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 08:26:19 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
From my understanding it is hosted on the w3,org domain. Unless someone defaced this domain, I believe this is linked to the W3C validation service. I may be confused here but multiple people believe this to be the "official" W3C CSS validation service. We even have schools apparently relying on this for their evaluations.

@sideshowbarker Thanks for the answer. That's actually really helpful. I am not sure I understand why one validation service can support the deployment of your patch and not the other though. Different languages? I believe https://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator has been developed in Java.

I don't know who has control over what considering how confusing this is but could the team in charge of https://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator mark it as deprecated? In it's current state, this validator is out of standard but still uses the domain "w3.org". As I mentioned earlier, we had customers relying on it and we even had interns telling us their schools rely on this service for their evaluation. I think it is a problem serious enough to consider depreciation.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by SmashingQuasar
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5390#issuecomment-673956178 using your GitHub account