Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-sizing-3] Why was min-content, etc. redefined to do nothing in the block axis? (#3973)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 18:51:37 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@cbiesinger As far as we can tell, the current state of the specs accurately captures what you're saying here. min/max-content resolves to the min/max-content size, as defined by the layout mode; by default, we say that this is equal to the automatic size in the block axis, but allow layout modes to override that (https://drafts.csswg.org/css-sizing/#valdef-width-min-content). Grid and Flexbox both explicitly override that by defining exactly what the min/max-content sizes are in both axises, in dedicated sections of their specs (https://drafts.csswg.org/css-grid/#intrinsic-sizes and https://drafts.csswg.org/css-flexbox/#intrinsic-sizes).

Is there anything missing there, or mis-defined such that your preferred behavior isn't allowed?

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3973#issuecomment-672193190 using your GitHub account