Re: [csswg-drafts] [cssom-1][mediaqueries-5][css-color] Dealing with bi-plane (video/graphics) when reporting values (#4471)

From: chcunningham via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 00:18:18 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
mwatson2@ - keep me honest

> The currently defined CSS color-gamut media feature uses keywords to describe existing commercial standards: srgb, p3, rec-2020. Does that cover what you need, or is that a distinct concept?

They are distinct but interconnected concepts. Color gamut describes a color spectrum while SDR/HDR is about luminance range.

In practice, different gamuts do correlate with sdr / hdr, but there are edge cases (like Apple's 2017 P3 displays, which are not HDR) and I think its not clean enough to live without a separate dynamic range signal.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by chcunningham
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4471#issuecomment-548165527 using your GitHub account