Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-lists-3] Setting the start value of a reversed list (#4211)

From: Mats Palmgren via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 22:52:19 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@fantasai Is there a reason you used `counter-increment` rather than `counter-reset: list-item calc(N+1)` in A and B?

I don't really see a use case for having this magic N value other than for the start value of a reversed list, so I'm reluctant to generalize it beyond that use case.  I still think the best solution is to resolve this issue together with issue #4181 as a preshint mapping to `counter-reset: reversed(list-item)` or some such.  That declaration would have two effects: 1) the default start value is resolved in layout (to N+1 per above), and 2) the default `list-item` counter-increment for list items is -1 rather than 1.  I think this makes it possible to support reversed content-based lists also for author-defined counters for free (if we want to allow that), by allowing the author to specify `counter-reset: reversed(foo)` with `counter-increment: foo -1` on the items.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by MatsPalmgren
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4211#issuecomment-544741322 using your GitHub account