Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-content] Description about <content-replacement> doesn't match what implementations do for pseudo-elements (#2657)

From: Mike Bremford via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2019 10:08:59 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
It's a good example of this issue. Safari, Chrome and Firefox all show the first circle as larger, which doesn't match the spec. Prince, our renderer and (I believe based on analysis, although I don't have it here to test with) Antenna House renderer will all render both circles the same size.

This is going to become more of an issue once `::marker` pseudo-elements become widely supported - at present the only browser that does support them is Firefox. Converting your example to this...
```html
<head>
#mylist li::marker {
    content: url(image.svg);
    height: 1em;
}
</head>
<ol id="mylist">
 <li>Item 1</li>
 <li>Item 2</li>
</ol>
```
... and testing in Firefox shows the circles are not resized to 1em, as you'd expect. I think the browsers need to change to match the specified behaviour, not the other way around.

(live example demonstrating the above at https://jsbin.com/jozeveg/1/edit?html,output)

--
GitHub Notification of comment by faceless2
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2657#issuecomment-539934594 using your GitHub account