Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-values-4] What should non-calc() math functions serialize to when they're fully resolved? (#4399)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 23:22:19 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I only see one, from @ExE-Boss. @Crissov is asking for heavy simplification/canonicalization, as I read them.

Also, the group has had consensus on canonicalizing units (from resolutions on lvl 3-style calc()) for a long time, and I don't want to revisit that decision without good reason.

I'm also loathe to spec something like Chrome's behavior, where it only canonicalizes when combining disparate units. It feels pretty hacky to me for that to be the one and only simplification we *don't* do eagerly; if people expect `calc(1in)` to stay `1in`, they'd presumably expect `calc(1in + 1in)` to stay as `1in + 1in` too, but Chrome simplifies it down to `2in`.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4399#issuecomment-557730881 using your GitHub account