[csswg-drafts] [css-animations-2] List of pseudo-elements in composite order is non-exhaustive (#4502)

From: George Steel via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2019 22:27:38 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
george-steel has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-animations-2] List of pseudo-elements in composite order is non-exhaustive ==
In the definition of Animation [composite order](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-animations-2/#animation-composite-order), the list of pseudo-elements only includes `::marker`, `::before`, and `::after`. Since many other pseudo-elements exist, and there is no section of the spec restricting animations to these particular pseudo-elements, How should we resolve this? I can think of a few possibilities.

1. Replace the specific list with "pseudo-elements in alphabetical order by selector", as is done to order transitions by property.
2. Add an entry for "other pseudo-elements in alphabetical order by selector".
3. Add a canonical ordering to the pseudo-element spec and reference it. This would have to keep up with changes.
4. Add a restriction on which pseudo-elements may be animated to css-animations-1 and web-animations

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4502 using your GitHub account