Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-grid-2] Subsetting grid-template-areas in subgrids (#4411)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2019 20:49:08 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Okay, so I think we've got two consistent proposals I'm happy to live with:

1. Slightly reify grid-template-areas, and exclude all template-created line names from inheriting into subgrids.
    * This means that *no* parent areas are usable in a subgrid, if they were created by grid-template-areas.
    * If an author manually creates an area by specifying foo-start/end lines in the parent grid, they will inherit in and be usable if both the start and end lines overlap the subgrid; a partially-overlapping area will still give you the broken results that the current spec gives you for all partially-overlapping areas.
2. Slightly reify grid-template-areas, and add line names of areas that *partially* overlap the subgrid to the start/end of the subgrid, effectively subsetting the grid area into the subgrid.
    * This means that *all* parent areas are usable in a subgrid.
    * Just like (1), if an author manually creates areas by specifying foo-start/end lines, they'll only be usable if they fully overlap the grid area; they won't get the "subsetting" effect that template-created areas get.

The other proposals, while attractive in some ways, have too many problems to be seriously considered imo.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4411#issuecomment-548945615 using your GitHub account