Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-text] Add new CSS text-transform values for math (#3745)

From: joanmarie via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 20:58:06 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
FWIW, user agents are already exposing the rendered (transformed) text. Below are three screenshots, the first from Firefox Nightly, the second from Epiphany (WebKitGtk), and the third a locally-built Chrome. All three are from Linux. I can grab macOS next in case that would be helpful.

In the meantime, what you'll see in each is that I've:
* Loaded `data:text/html,<div style="text-transform: uppercase;">foo</div>`
* As a result of the above, I'm seeing a rendered all-caps version of the text, namely "FOO"
* Using Accerciser's iPython console, I've used the Python bindings for AT-SPI2, to retrieve all of the accessible text for the accessible object backing the `div` whose text has been transformed. The command happens to be `acc.queryText().getText(0, -1)`. What I get (and what the screen reader Orca gets) is the all-caps, rendered text, namely "FOO"

So the good news is that I'm already getting what I'd expect/want. :smile: Assuming this is the same on other platforms (my guess is that it is, with one caveat I'll come back to momentarily), it really doesn't matter if you type a literal all-caps or use CSS to transform it into all caps -- as far as the end user is concerned -- because the end user will wind up with the same result regardless of whether or not he/she happens to be sighted.

The caveat I mentioned is this: Some (Windows) screen readers historically have had virtual buffers or other recreations of the content. For any that still do: If they are grabbing the text from the DOM rather than from the accessibility tree, then one might indeed see differences in what the end user gets.

![gecko-uppercase-transform](https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/3228171/54952872-5e860c80-4f1d-11e9-87ea-3f9bbc9ebe14.png)
![wk-uppercase-transform](https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/3228171/54952876-6180fd00-4f1d-11e9-9cbb-e91a43f0d99b.png)
![blink-uppercase-transform](https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/3228171/54952883-647bed80-4f1d-11e9-8f97-0c28ec87eeb5.png)

--
GitHub Notification of comment by joanmarie
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3745#issuecomment-476374697 using your GitHub account