Re: [csswg-drafts] [mediaqueries-5] UA guidance on light vs no-preference (#3857)

From: Myles C. Maxfield via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 00:29:46 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
![Mode](https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/918903/59645022-76d48480-9124-11e9-8fcf-d8bff2bc0361.PNG)
![Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 8 52 17 AM](https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/918903/59645023-76d48480-9124-11e9-980a-89e8797608db.png)

Honestly, I don't quite understand why this issue is so contentious. Three major operating systems (four if you count iOS betas) all have the same concept: light vs dark. Android (and future versions of Windows?) have an in-between setting. This seems to map very naturally to the existing spec.

Expecting every web author to create a light mode and a dark mode of their entire site is unreasonable. Instead, this media query simply exposes a choice that the user has made. The page author can choose to incorporate that, or not incorporate that, into their design. We're not trying to (indeed: *can't*) make an alternative "dark mode" or "light mode" universe where every web page is dark or light.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by litherum
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3857#issuecomment-502899277 using your GitHub account