Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-writing-modes][css-tables] vertical-align in orthogonal table cells (#4033)

From: Florian Rivoal via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 17:45:52 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Working from the row rather than the cell seems confusing to me, but maybe, that just shows I don't understand how rows and cells and vertical-align works :)

If it is working from the row's writing mode, what does it do if a cell has it's writing-mode orthogonal to the row? Say, a `horizontal-tb` table with `horizontal-tb` rows, with a `vertical-rl` cell, and `vertical-align:middle`. Assume that the table has other rows and other columns, such that this orthogonal cell ends up being bigger than it needs to in both axises. My guess was that it would be "centering" the text in the block axis of the cell, i.e. horizontally. If not:
1. What does it do?
2. Is there a way to "center" the content of the cell in the block axis?

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4033#issuecomment-511917326 using your GitHub account