Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts] system-ui-serif, system-ui-monospaced, and system-ui-rounded (#4107)

From: Christoph Päper via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 07:38:46 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
If the use case is to adaptively mimic the [OS look](https://developer.apple.com/fonts/), I expect the OS to actually use these fonts for some part of its GUI. This would not be `monospace` but `console` or `terminal`, not `serif` but `body` or `document`, not `rounded` but `caption` or whatever.

Apple should probably be proposing `font` keywords to map to their HIGʼs Dynamic Font Variants, if the existing ones cited earlier do not suffice:

iOS, watchOS, tvOS
---

- Large Title
- Title 1
- Title 2
- Title 3
- Headline
- Body
- Callout
- Subhead
- Footnote
- Caption 1
- Caption 2

macOS
---

- Control Content
- Label
- Menu
- Menu Bar
- Message
- Palette
- Title
- Tool Tips
- Document Text (User)
- Monospaced Document Text (User Fixed Pitch)
- Bold System Font
- System Font

I did not find _New York_ being documented for any of that (yet), though.

Furthermore, it is perfectly fine to map the the fonts in question to `font-family` keywords like `serif`, `monospace` and `fantasy`. If any website out there “fails” because its authors expected `serif` to mean _Times [New Roman]_, it absolutely  *needs* to “fail”. However, I cannot imagine how anyone would consider a slightly different font being used as “failing”.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by Crissov
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4107#issuecomment-511301785 using your GitHub account