Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-values-4] How to interpolate min/max/clamp? (#4082)

From: Amelia Bellamy-Royds via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2019 02:19:25 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> I think it's a bit too expensive to have the browser do it by default.

I'm not sure it's any more expensive than the alternative.  Compared to calculating layout, interpolating numbers is easy, even if you have a list of them that need to be compared or combined at the end.  If we interpolate _used_ values, that means that you can't do the interpolation until after layout. If anything that affects layout is also changing (as in [Eric's example](https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4082#issuecomment-508242771)), then you can't compute the interpolated value at a given time without doing layout for that point in time.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4082#issuecomment-508608015 using your GitHub account