Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-values] Trigonometric functions (#2331)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 22:19:27 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
atan2() is attested by that name in tons of languages; we think it's more valuable to match that usage than try to be clever in saving function names.

sqrt() is just a convenience function; it's easier and more understandable than typing `pow(N, .5)`. I doubt we'll want to add more root functions, since people can just use `pow()`.

An important concern in our naming was to match JS's `Math.*` names, as they're already familiar to devs. We're not *bound* to sticking with those, but we'd like to stick with them if at all possible.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2331#issuecomment-468053817 using your GitHub account