Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-pseudo-4] new generated content pseudo :between/:separator (#2960)

From: Sebastian Zartner via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 22:15:26 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> <fantasai> jensimmons: We have gaps in flexbox and grid, another way would be to style gaps or empty grid cells
> <fantasai> jensimmons: would allow authors to style those things without them being real

For what it's worth, styling gaps is also discussed in #2748. And personally, I believe the use case of styling gaps in flexbox, grid and multi-column layout is better handled via some properties, because they avoid side effects by inheritance and styling unrelated to gaps. For implementers, this should also make it easier to handle, because it means no extra boxes have to be generated for them.

Having said that, there are still many other use cases, in which the aforementioned pseudo-elements would avoid having to do hacks or add elements only used for styling.

Sebastian

--
GitHub Notification of comment by SebastianZ
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2960#issuecomment-468052611 using your GitHub account