Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-ui-4][css-tables-3] should table outlines surround captions too? (#3184)

From: Piotrek Koszuliński via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 12:35:35 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> A workaround for differing browser behaviour is to put a table within a figure element and use figcaption instead of caption. As figure and figcaption have much more sensible HTML coding and semantics, in my view use of caption and label should therefore become deprecated in favour of use of figcaption within a figure.

Unless that `<figure>` is styled with `display:table` where it becomes the exact same scenario to captions inside tables 😅

CKEditor 5 (but I know that not only we went this way – it's also used e.g. by Drupal) use `display:table` on `<figure>` to make it take the image's width. Unfortunately, with those styles we hit Firefox's issue: https://github.com/ckeditor/ckeditor5/issues/1979.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by Reinmar
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3184#issuecomment-523436844 using your GitHub account