Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-images] Should the values of image-orientation include the <angle> variants? (#4164)

From: antoniosdi via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 15:24:23 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org

> If you have a compelling reason to override an image's built-in orientation, please state it here! The CSS-WG is interested in these cases.

One case I can submit is the following:
this website where product pictures are uploaded internally by different users.
[https://www.fabsurplus.com/sdi_catalog/salesItemDetails.do?id=87930](url)
the pictures are uploaded to the system but currently there is no current possibility for development to rotate images internally, therefore the use of the image-orientation -> from-image in CSS allows with a single css rule - or even by default in the browser if the default value for image-orientation will be from-image - to display all images in the correct aspect.
Currently if you see that web page from Firefox -  which currently honors handling the image-orientation -> from image - all the machine pictures will be shown with the correct orientation, while in other browsers that don't honor it , the pictures will be shown with a wrong orientation.
Of course there are thousands of products with thousand of images with this issue.
Please consider using image-orientation -> from-image as a default - or finally determine the image-orientation feature so it can be picked up by all browsers!

--
GitHub Notification of comment by antoniosdi
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4164#issuecomment-523065721 using your GitHub account