Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-animation] Motion Blur (#3837)

From: Florin Malita via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 17:36:38 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@argyleink the Skottie implementation linked above is not based on box blur, but on frame averaging: we sample multiple frames on the timeline and compute the result my modulating/blending these frames.  You can see the effect in action here: https://skottie.skia.org/718e3d0979791b0c268efe68c10056a6?h=500&w=500

This is pretty close to the physical model, and also what AE appears to be doing (there's a separate Pixel Motion Blur effect which computes inter-frame per-pixel motion vectors, but this is about the basic MB switch).

This approach has a couple of nice properties:

- doesn't require prior animation/transform knowledge
- doesn't require/assume static content (adapts to content changes naturally)

The downside is obviously a multi-frame buffering requirement.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by fmalita
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3837#issuecomment-520521445 using your GitHub account