Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-overflow] Should a visibility:hidden overflow:scroll be scrollable? (#4113)

From: Simon Fraser via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2019 19:56:51 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> We want a visibility:hidden element to act like overflow:hidden wrt scrolling, regardless of its overflow value, right? So:
>
> 1. Never a scrollbar.

No visible scrollbar, but layout happens as if a scrollbar is present.

> 2. No scroll bubbling - if you mousewheel on a visible descendant, it doesn't scroll the hidden container.

Agreed.

> 3. Script-based scrolling still works.

Agreed.

> Is this _regardless of overflow value_, or does it just apply to all the "scrollable" overflow values? (Hidden, auto, scroll) I assume an "overflow:visible" element remains unscrollable, as would the clip values?

overflow:visible and clip would remain unscrollable, yes. I don't think there's any behavior change for overflow:hidden. Auto/scroll would behave as above.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by smfr
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4113#issuecomment-518819895 using your GitHub account