Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-shapes] Remove padding-box, content-box values from <shape-box>. (#3872)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 18:01:04 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> padding-box, content-box aren't general enough to fix within the wider CSS box model. E.g. consider an element with scrollable overflow:
> https://www.software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/?saved=6857
>
> In the above example the content-box of the element with shape-outside is technically larger than the element itself, but the specification doesn't (? i believe) mention how do deal with this.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. padding-box is well-defined, and is not the same as the scrollable overflow, sure. So the result you get is well-defined, if a little weird.

That said, I agree the use-cases for the lesser boxes seem pretty minimal; I think we just reused the box definitions because they were there.

> There are a couple of sites which would have a large behaviour change if we'd remove this. However they'd have the same behaviour as if they had shape-outside:margin-box.

What do you mean by this? That switching to margin-box would cause a large behavior change for them?

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3872#issuecomment-486361662 using your GitHub account