Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-scoping] Handling global name-defining constructs in shadow trees (#1995)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 00:04:25 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Yeah, *moving* a CSS value between trees is always going to be problematic, unless we have some way of serializing the *reference itself* into CSS. That seems unlikely, so we can't make this foolproof. ^_^

Similarly, assigning computed style directly into a stylesheet is just as much of a problem. But assigning directly to stylesheet rules is rare, versus assigning to `.style`.

So there's a lot of weirder corner cases that we can't solve in any case. But I don't like the idea that we can't *assign to an element's own style* a value sufficient to maintain the element's current behavior.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1995#issuecomment-484305810 using your GitHub account