Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-scrollbars][css-scrollbars-1] Can we simplify to two scroll-*-color properties?

From: Craig Kovatch via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 16:42:37 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@jonjohnjohnson I'd love to understand more about how you think visual familiarity of scrolling is important to visually impaired friends.

Incidentally, I also have a significant visual impairment, and have spent the better part of the last two years working professionally on web accessibility. That's probably why I care so much about scroll experience -- I spend a lot of time zoomed in. I couldn't care less about how scrollbars look -- but I want web designers to have a full set of styling tools available so that nobody ever has to re-implement scrolling. I think scroll experience is a fundamentally OS-level concern and whatever the user is used to shouldn't be mucked with. But if we don't give a full suite of styling tools (ala `-webkit-scroll*`), we encourage re-implementation instead. I think that is a much more unfortunate incentivization.

I'm not saying the old webkit properties ought to be standardized, there's some significant ambiguity to them. But only providing color properties seems woefully insufficient.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by craigkovatch
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1960#issuecomment-400383551 using your GitHub account