[csswg-drafts] [css-text-decor] How to use decoration skipping to turn off underlines?

From: Myles C. Maxfield via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2018 22:17:35 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
litherum has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-text-decor] How to use decoration skipping to turn off underlines? ==
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-text-decor-4/#propdef-text-decoration-skip

During the Sydney F2F, there was an assertion that the `text-decoration-skip-*` properties can be used to turn off underlining on a particular element. However, I don’t see any value to `text-decoration-skip` that seems relevant. (The spec hasn’t been updated to break out each of these values into their own properties)

  - `none` skips nothing, which is the opposite of what I want
  - `objects` only skips atomic inlines, but I want to turn off the underline on arbitrary content
  - `spaces`, `leading-spaces`, and `trailing-spaces` only skips whitespace, but I want it to skip arbitrary text content
  - `edges` only insets the underline slightly, rather than skipping over entire elements
  - `box-decoration` also isn’t what I want

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2885 using your GitHub account