Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts-4] font-variant-emoji: Consider broadening to all "color fonts" use-cases, not just emoji PPCP

From: DeeDeeG via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 19:08:13 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Okay, thanks for the feedback.

I _do_ have an interest in a font-table-level toggle, but I am struggling to prove why that would be worth the trouble. And that gets to be a bit too far into the weeds for this discussion.

I actually meant this to be for a font fallback ("Font selection"?) mechanism. To technically describe what I meant by this suggestion:

1) The implementation could (as per usual) compile an ordered list of fonts to select from, irrespective of color
2) The implementation could determine whether a given font (or all the fonts, as necessary) in the font list is an "explicit-color" or "traditional" font
3) Based on the setting of this property (e.g. `auto | rich | traditional`) the implementation can select fonts by either preferring color fonts, preferring traditional fonts, or  (for `auto`) don't do anything special.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by DeeDeeG
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2304#issuecomment-367435787 using your GitHub account