Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-grid-2] Ability for grid items to automatically span rows and columns based on content size

From: maeh2k via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 15:11:31 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I want to add a further use case for this issue.

I am working on a classic e-commerce category page – a simple grid of products and some navigation elements at the top. This should be a prime candidate for CSS Grid.

In the top left corner of the category page, we show the category tree in a box. While most sites dedicate a full column to the category navigation, we also show products below the navigation box. The height of the navigation box varies – you can go deeper in the category tree and you may see all the different types of dresses, which add to the height of the box.

![category-page_navigation-box_small](https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/8048758/36353369-13fe385a-14c6-11e8-98c8-0541f522f79b.PNG)
![category-page_navigation-box_large png](https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/8048758/36353371-1643ae2e-14c6-11e8-9eda-bf365d7c30e8.PNG)

At the moment we use a float-based layout to accomplish this.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by maeh2k
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1373#issuecomment-366522775 using your GitHub account