Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-transforms] Named rotation axis

From: L. David Baron via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 23:25:38 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I think if we're not happy with the suggestions for the syntax of the `2d` vs `z` distinction that @AmeliaBR proposes, I think it's reasonable to not make that distinction -- and just say that if the author wants to force the transform to be 3-D rather than 2-D, they're going to have to do it some other way.  (And given the proposals so far, that would be my inclination, but I'm open to seeing something better.

I don't like `2d` since it's a dimension rather than a keyword (does `2.0d` or `2e0d` also work?), `xy` since it's the opposite of the other meanings (the plane rather than the axis perpendicular to it) and doesn't indicate at all which would be the 2-D or the 3-D version, and I also don't think `planar` is particularly clear about what the distinction between the values is.

Though another option is for the 2-D version to be what you get if you omit the axis/vector, and the 3-D version to be what you get if you include it.)

--
GitHub Notification of comment by dbaron
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2130#issuecomment-363601008 using your GitHub account