Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-ui] 'auto' as the initial value for the 'appearance' property isn't web-compatible

From: Sabith Pocker via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2018 08:37:22 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I am quoting from an [outdated document here](https://www.w3.org/TR/2003/CR-css3-color-20030514/#css-system) (_as it is the only place a reason is mentioned for the deprecation of System Colors_)

> The CSS2 System Color values have been deprecated in favor of the CSS3 UI 'appearance' property for specifying the complete look of user interface related elements.

It now _appears_ that `appearance` won't be taking up this responsibility and this quoted line has been removed from the document. The reason why System Colors was deprecated and if `appearance` will provide an alternative remains vague as of now.

How do we proceed with scenarios where we have to style elements to look as native as possible?

I am not sure if this is the place to place this query in, please ignore this or direct me to a place where this issue can be raised.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by sabithpocker
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1250#issuecomment-363015150 using your GitHub account