Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-values] Limit nested pairs of parentheses in calc to 32 (#3462)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 19:43:23 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
CSS has never introduced actual maximums for anything. We have a few places where we've defined minimums that must be supported (with the implication that going over is implementation-defined and allowed to fail, in a particular spec-defined fashion).

@fantasai and I have tried to introduce such limits for all the numeric values, but haven't succeeded yet. :(

I'm happy to similarly define a nesting limit here. Presumably a separate nesting limit for rules vs values, since they're generally parsed in different phases?

> When the spec has no limits, implementations are forced to make their own choices between [snip]

Crashing is never a reasonable behavior. ^_^

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3462#issuecomment-449481133 using your GitHub account