[csswg-drafts] [css-syntax] "Drop first @charset rule" seems unndeeded. (#3464)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 22:54:22 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
tabatkins has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-syntax] "Drop first @charset rule" seems unndeeded. ==
In the comments in <https://github.com/WICG/construct-stylesheets/issues/84>, @bzbarsky expresses some confusion as to the point of the "drop the first @charset rule" in the "parse a stylesheet" algorithm. After some review, I agree with him: I'm also confused!

I think this was added to express the previous Blink behavior of keeping @charset rules in the CSSOM, except for the first which was dropped.  (Firefox apparently never dropped the first one...)  Later, I went more scorched-earth and just declared that there was no such thing as a @charset rule (just an encoding declaring that happened to resemble one...), and so *all* @charset rules should be dropped from the CSSOM.

Since browsers seem to follow the newer Syntax advice to just drop all @charset rules, we can eliminate the explicit "drop first" rule from the spec.

Agenda+ to confirm with WG, as this spec is CR. ^_^  (I should also probably ask for republication, if I don't already have a pending permission...)

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3464 using your GitHub account