Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-text-3] Segment Break Transformation Rules for East Asian Width property of A (#337)

From: Myles C. Maxfield via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 08:08:14 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Koji said:
> I'm not sure how far we plan to go on this feature

And this is more-or-less what I’m saying, too.
- Having a simple heuristic that doesn’t work well would be unfortunate
- Adding more and more special cases on top of a heuristic that didn’t work well in the first place would just end up being a pile of hacks
- Having a super complicated heuristic would be a headache for both authors and implementors

Instead, of somehow trying to synthesize whitespace collapsing rules from the East_Asian_Width property and the Emoji property, we should allow for more experimentation to try to come up with a more elegant solution (perhaps in the Unicode consortium). We have an opportunity now because there isn’t compact risk.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by litherum
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/337#issuecomment-448505049 using your GitHub account