Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-variables] Add User Agent properties and constant()

From: Maciej Stachowiak via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 23:45:29 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> 3. If we want to allow people to set these values in stylesheets (I think we do), the right avenue is with an at-rule: @global <custom-ident> <declaration-value>;.

How would this work for UA predefined constants? Would they be expected to have an @global rule in a stylesheet at UA precedence level, which gets updated if the value changes?

I'm asking because from our perspective, UA predefined constants are the main kind we care about, and author-defined constants are at most a tangential side benefit.

Also, I really think this concept should have a single name in syntax. Either `@global`+`global()` or `@constant`+`constant()`. `@global` defining the value read by `constant()` seems needlessly inconsistent.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by othermaciej
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/pull/1817#issuecomment-329927917 using your GitHub account