Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-display][css-pseudo] Is ::marker created by display:list-item or does it always exist?

From: Oriol Brufau via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 23:33:23 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I have been thinking that the element tree already depends on the cascade because of `content`.

If you have `::before { content: 'foo'; display: table }`, the text foo can't be directly inserted into the box tree as a text run, because it would not be clear into which of the two boxes generated by pseudo-element it should be inserted. Instead, the text should be inserted as a child text node in the element tree, and then CSS Display determines that the generated text run needs to be inserted into the table box.

So if `content` is able to affect the element tree, I guess `display: list-item` could too.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1793#issuecomment-329926627 using your GitHub account