Re: [csswg-drafts] [css21][css-inline] behavior differences when the primary font does not contain U+0020

From: Florian Rivoal via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 23:38:01 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> Isn't this something we just resolved in #1765?

Possibly, yes. It looks that I had missed that. Either way, browsers differ. So if we want to confirm the resolution taken in #1765, everybody other than chrome has to change. From the minutes in #1765, it is not clear to me that there was an understanding that that resolution implied that everybody needed to change.

Personally, I don't care strongly either way, as long as we're all clear what the expected behavior is, and all implement the same.

> I think the question is "the strut" of which font. Since the strut should come from the first available font, and with #1765, fonts that don't have unicode-range U+0020 are not the first available font, we take strut from the users' preferred font or the system font.

If we maintain #1765, that seems reasonable, but is that specified anywhere? I could also imagine taking the strut from the parent element, from example.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1798#issuecomment-329014718 using your GitHub account