[csswg-drafts] [css-contain] To which box does paint containment clip?

From: Oriol Brufau via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 18:20:56 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Loirooriol has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-contain] To which box does paint containment clip? ==
[CSS Contain](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-contain/#containment-paint) says

> If the element does not generate a principal box [...] paint containment has no effect. Otherwise, giving an element paint containment has the following effects:
> - The contents of the element must be clipped to the element’s content box, including both the paint of the descendants and their geometry.

First, it should be "content area of a box" instead of "content box". Then, of which box? An element may generate multiple boxes; for example, a table element generates a principal table wrapper box and an inner table box. I guess it should be the principal box, mentioned earlier, but that's not clear.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1809 using your GitHub account