Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-values] Radians considered useless without π

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 21:36:17 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
There's no reason to focus on `rad` here. We have `turn`, it eliminates the irrational factor, it just uses tau (aka a factor of 2) instead of pi.  Adding `pirad` would just be adding a half-`turn`, which isn't worthwhile *since we already have `turn`*.

The usefulness of `rad` is in allowing JS to output values directly into CSS without having to go thru extra conversions; whether they use degrees or radians, they're covered, they just have to append the right unit to the number they've obtained from their trig operations.

If you're a human, you probably shouldn't be writing `rad` values at all, for the reasons you already mentioned.  You should be using `deg` or `turn`, as both are human-friendly in different ways.  Adding a pi-rad or half-turn for additional human friendliness doesn't give enough benefit for the cost here.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/309#issuecomment-328665734 using your GitHub account